TCELS joins with strategic allies to drive “Promoting I with I” Ep. 2/2018 Thailand 4.0
The Thailand Center of Excellence for Life Sciences (TCELS) under the supervision of Ministry of Science and Technology recently partnered with the Thai Association for Biotech Industries (ThaiBio), the Thailand Research Fund, the Agricultural Research Development Agency (Public Organization), and Office of The Higher Education Commission, to organize “Promoting I with I” Episode 2/2018 Thailand 4.0, an event that serves as a pitching day and business matching for researchers. It was held on 11 September 2018 from 08.30 - 17.00 hrs at Arnoma Room 3, Floor 3, Arnoma Grand Bangkok Hotel.
Dr. Nares Damrongchai, CEO of TCELS, said that the TCELS and its partners continuously put their efforts into driving the Promoting I with I” Ep. Thailand 4.0 (Promoting Life Sciences Innovation with Investment Episode project) project to support research into biotechnology and life sciences as well develop human resources in the life sciences industry.
The project is in line with Thailand 4.0, the new economic model designed to transform the economy into one that is value-based. The Thailand 4.0 policy will change commodities into innovative products and drive growth through science, technology and innovation. The Promoting I with I” Ep. Thailand 4.0 project furthers support the development of research into products and services and creates opportunities to develop such products through partnerships between the public sector, educational institutes and the private sector in response to the Thailand 4.0 policy.
"After listening to the pitches at the “Promoting I with I” Ep. 2/2018 Thailand 4.0, the committee selected the 10 best research works from more than 20 contestants. The business matching session, meanwhile, allowed the selected researchers to meet investors. These research works include a rapid test kit, skincare and natural products," said Dr. Nares.
At the event, Dr. Sirinmas khammas, Pharmacy Specialist at the Medical Device Control Division, Food and Drug Administration, gave participants advice on registration and standards of medical equipment and machines. For his part, Mr. Kittithep Jingjitr, an intellectual property analyst at Intellectual Design Group (IDG) Co., Ltd., provided an in-depth briefing on global medical technology trends under the title “Global innovations trend: IP Landscape Analysis of Medical Devices 2018".
A seminar was also held allowing researchers, representatives of organizations and private companies to share their experiences and information on new local innovations that will help reduce imports of medical equipment and medical test kits.
Dr. Nares added that Thailand is now capable of producing and exporting medical equipment, thus generating revenue for the country. The TCELS expected that the event would enable researchers, innovators and the private sector to perceive the opportunities the government sector is providing in terms of integrated support for the development of commercial products.
The 10 selected research works are:
1. Recombinant human peptide: an alternative to using an antibiotics preservative by Dr. Nujarin Jongruja from the Department of Microbiology, King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi
2. Vegetable puddings for elderly who have lost their teeth by Miss Vipada Mitbamrung from the Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University
3. Body scrubs made from natural rubber power by Asst. Prof. Dr. Chor. Wayakron Phetphaisit from Faculty of Science, Naresuan University,
4. Innovative and eco-friendly wastewater treatment material through a physical-chemical and biofitration process by Dr. Pat Sooksaen from Department of Material Science and Engineering, Silpakorn University
5. Rapid test kit to examine antibodies to Leptospira by Asst. Prof. Dr. Uraiwan Kositanont from Faculty of Public Health, Thammasat University.
6. Injectable bone cements for bone substitutes and osteoporosis by Asst. Prof. Dr. Sirirat Tubsungnoen Rattanachan from Faculty of Engineering, Suranaree University of Technology
7. Electronic Nose applied for healthcare by Miss Tanthip Eamsa-ard from Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
8. Pillow for healthy back by Asst. Prof. Dr. Prof.Dr.Rungthip Puntumetakul from the Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Khon Kaen University
9. Gait aid by Asst. Prof. Punnee Pungsuwan from the Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Khon Kaen University
10. Physical therapy bed for body massage and back stretching by Asst. Prof. Dr. Wichai Eungpinichpong from the Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Khon Kaen University